Underneath the Big Screen - She's Dating the Gangster



Love is happiness…
Love is smiling when you hear that person’s voice…
Love is the butterflies in your tummy no matter how many times you see that person…
Love is when you look at him / her and smile for no reason…
Love is seeing an imperfect person perfectly…
Love is painful…
Love is hard…
Love is sacrifice…
Love is sadness…

-          She’s Dating The Gangster (Prologue)




A few years back, I was asked by my friends to read the She’s Dating the Gangster in Wattpad written by SGwannabe, her real name is Bianca Bernardino. The story was published in Wattpad around 2007 – 2008. It became famous and known all over the Philippines (I think it was also known in some countries like Japan and Korea). Honestly, I am actually not going to read the story because I thought that it will not be as great as the American novels I have read before or the writing is not that good or even the ending might not be the way I expected it to be. But I want to watch the movie and I have this kind of thinking that I need to read the book first before seeing the movie. After reading the book and saw the movie, I am taking back everything I've said before, the story is freaking ahhh - mazing and legendary. I never knew I would cry this hard while reading a novel/story. But before I pour my heart out, I just wanted to say that I am only doing this blog post just because I can’t move on with the story both in the book and the movie.




In the movie adaptation (Star Cinema), the director was Cathy Garcia – Molina (Known for One More Chance & Starting Over Again). The lead characters were portrayed by Daniel Padilla (Kenji Delos Reyes) and Kathryn Bernardo (Athena Dizon). The members of the gang were Alexander Diaz (Jigs Bala), Yana Assistio (Grace Matic), Igi Boy Flores (Kirby) and Pamu Pamorada (Sara, Athena’s Bff). The present Kenji and Athena were portrayed by Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta.



Bianca Bernardino (Author)

Cathy Garcia - Molina (Director)


There are some changes in the story line, they did not actually stick to the story written by Bianca, but of course they coordinated it to her before they start shooting the scenes. Bianca told them that it was okay to have the changes as long as the scenes that are expected by the readers to see will not be altered or omitted. The movie has two timelines, the past and the present. That is one major addition that was not actually in the book and for me it is actually a good idea.



Alexander Diaz as Jigs Bala

Yana Asistio as Grace Matic

Igiboy Flores as Kirby Araneta

Sofia Andres as Athena Abigail Tizon

Pamu Pamorada as Sara Jung

Khalil Ramos as Lucas Lazaro

Movie Synopsis:
     It all started when 17-year-old Athena Dizon unwittingly plays a trick on resident heartthrob and bad boy, Kenji de los Reyes. All of a sudden, she finds herself pretending—unwillingly at that—to be his girlfriend to make his ex jealous. Now, not only does she have to deal with dirty looks from the girls in school who want Kenji for themselves, but her supposed boyfriend is getting on her nerves. He's hotheaded, never seems to agree with her on anything—and everything about him screams gangster. Has Athena gotten herself into more trouble than she can handle? Or has she actually found herself a boy she can call hers—gangster be damned? (Star Cinema, 2014)

UNFORGETTABLE SCENES:




































My thoughts:

I just want to make this clear, I am not actually a "DIE HARD" fan or an "AVID" fan of KathNiel BUT I am always a fan of their shows and their movies. I've watched Must Be Love and Got To Believe before and I must say that they really have chemistry.  I always get " kilig " whenever I see them on screen. I love how their love team captured the hearts of many Filipino teenagers. Kathryn is really good in acting, giving you so many emotions just by looking at her eyes. I've seen her grow as an actress since her Mara Clara days. And of course, Daniel, the guy who took every Filipina's breath away with his good looks , personality and talents.
That's why when I learned that they are the ones who will play the leading roles in She's Dating the Gangster, I told myself that I will definitely watched this movie. PLUS, the director is Ms. Cathy Garcia - Molina, who is known for her works like One More Chance and Starting Over Again. I just know that She's Dating the Gangster will be a hit.

After I watched the movie, there are so many emotions that I felt and I thought my heart will explode because of too much feels. c: I've been crying the whole time because I can somehow relate myself to the story. My eyes became puffed and swollen because of the crying but it was all worth it. That's why I've decided to read the story because I have friends who told me that the story in the book is completely different from the movie.
Direk Cathy made a good choice having the KathNiel to portray the roles of Kenji and Athena, they really gave justice to it.:) The movie is really a must - watch and the book is a must - read, I suggest that in this case, you should watch the movie first before reading the book because you might get disappointed with the changes happened in the movie. But for me, the movie has its own way to capture my heart and I was moved by the story. The target audience of the movie is not only for teens like me but also for the young adults and parents, too.  As for the book, it was meant to be read by teens and I love how Bianca (author) showed us how Kenji grew and changed for Athena, how Athena sacrificed her own happiness for Abigail to became happy, Athena was selfless and loved Kenji without condition  but there's one thing I didn't like about the book and it's the ENDING. (Basahin niyo na lang yung book para malaman niyo yung ending, hihi, ayoko maging spoiler sa mga di pa nakakabasa, sorry) But I guess that's how the author like the story to end, to show us that Kenji's great love for Athena is undeniably great and endless.

All in all, I give the movie a rating of A++++++++++++++++++++. :))
For me the movie is a complete package, it talks about  relationship, friendship and family. Madaming pinarealize sakin tong movie na to, about relationships, with my own family and friends and for my future other half :) There are so many things that I wanted to say about the movie and the book, so many questions to ask and know the answers to but I just can't put them into words.
I'd like to commend the whole amazing team behind this awesome movie. Please continue to make movies like this in the future. :)

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the pictures and everything I said above are my insights and opinions. I got the photos from Google and in the Star Cinema's website. . :)


What are your insights about She's Dating the Gangster?
Feel free to comment your feelings and thoughts down below. :)

AlyssaFrncsc|2014

You May Also Like

0 comments